View Single Post
Old
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Visentin clearly projects as a NHL goaltender. Not definite (very few goalie prospects are!) but he's solid. Then Domingue and Mike Lee look to have a ton of potential. To be honest I dont remember the Coyotes having a trio of goalie prospects I liked better.

The only way I could see this as lacking depth is if you're looking for a NHL goaltender right now, looking at the AHL level for someone who's ready to step up. However all three are ready to start in the AHL next season so this could change within a few months.
Goal isn't a weakness for Phoenix. Smith is bridging the gap for when one of the next generation (Lee, Visentin, Domingue) is ready to take over. Besides how does one judge the quality of goaltending prospects? Visentin was OHL goalie of the year last year and arguably should have repeated this year.

It's fitting this goalie discussion comes at this time of year. I still haven't done my list but you can bet that I will have talked myself into taking Dansk or Subban by that point and one will be in my top 27. Draft is littered with first round picks in goal who didn't meet expectations. Goalie is the absolute hardest position to predict given the 4-6 year development time before they make the jump to the NHL.

Also some of the published draft lists were just awful. Dallas's Campbell is viewed as an elite prospect according to THN yet his stats are mediocre and he really hasn't done much outside of a strong World Juniors his draft year. One tournament does not make you a NHL star. I believe we learned that lesson with Montoya who had a hard time backing up at the AHL level before finding a niche in Long Island.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote