Thread: Speculation: Summer Moves IV: Roy "4" Hanzal <3
View Single Post
Old
06-16-2012, 04:30 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
After considering the makeup of our team, I really think a two way center who can play a shutdown role and play in all situations needs to be priority #1.

Whether it be overpaying for Staal or giving Stoll a retirement contract, it needs to happen.

Assuming Roy is gone via trade at some point.

Consider the following roles:

Ennis is an pure offensive role. A skate skate skate skate line with Foligno/Stafford.

The new shutdown line staring Leino-Shutdown Center-Pomniville OR a big rugged right winger in the Grier mold.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp/Big winger brought in Via trade (Clowe or Clutterbuck fit this mold). Vanek to start the season should still attract most of the other teams top checkers. This line should get near the same minutes of the Ennis line. Two good (not great) offensive lines should really make some hard matchups for other teams. On any given night, the Vanek-Hodgson line or the Foligno-Ennis-Stafford line should get some lower QOC to sneak in some offensive lopsided ness.

I'm on the Staal or bust train right now. If Staal ends up not working out, I'm ok with overpaying Stoll. I really am. But Jordan Staal fits this team. He's won a cup, he does the thankless work, and he has that quiet leadership that really goes un-noticed in Pittsburgh. And his tireless hard work is something that fits Lindy Ruff's system perfectly.

My ideal summer would be:

#1. Aquire Staal.
#2. Move Roy/Picks/whatever to fill whatever hole you made aquiring Staal (unless you had to include Ennis in the deal, than Roy stays to fill the role Ennis would have had)
#3. Add some toughness/grit via UFA. If you had a move a d-man to get Staal, Jackman might be someone you can take a look at.