Old
06-17-2012, 12:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Are you thinking these out before you post (sorry if that comes off as insulting, it's not intended)? The cap is rising annually as the league grows and the new TV contract comes into effect. By the time Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, and Read are up for FA, Timonen and Meszaros will be off the books, Hartnell may be as well (or may take a cut). We should have very little problem with re-signing any of those players with the freed up space/increasing space.

Don't you think playing with Giroux exaggerated his shooting percentage? Or did it just happen...Simmonds, Talbot, and Read all were thrust into an uptempo offensive system and saw a significant jump in their stats, career highs actually.

I fought THAT argument all of last season with people thinking we'd never match Richards/Carter/Versteeg/Powe/Carcillo's offensive numbers. We blew it away, far more than I expected. Nash would be filling JvR's spot, which he'd likely crush. This team will never struggle for offense (I believe you said that in a previous post), but they want a long-term, elite winger with Giroux. Hartnell isn't it
Simmonds and Talbot also had high shooting percentages, but Simmonds is likely too small of a sample to know what the real average is. At the end of the season, like Hartnell, Simmonds was starting to come back down. It's the flip side to why I expected Briere's scoring to come alive, luckily it did for him or else he'd be the one being pushed out the door this summer.

Talbot also set a career high in shooting percentage, and only two fewer shots. Shooting percentages don't really change depending on the system. Talbot has been proven to have had better offensive numbers in the playoffs. I said that back when we signed him that with Pittsburgh he was good for a half point per game, and that's about what he did for us this season.

Point is, they did get lucky by getting added scoring. They're going to need Schenn, Couturier and JVR/whoever to make up for any potential regression.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote