View Single Post
Old
06-17-2012, 02:20 AM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If MDZ's value is good on the market and you can get a top 3 forward moving him, Dubinsky and maybe a "high" pick (which, unless Hank gets hurt or something, isn't going to be that high) and a mid level prospect/later round pick, you do it in a heartbeat. The biggest problem is Anaheim (Bobby Ryan) and Columbus (Rick Nash) already have players that bring the offense or are expected to bring the offense he already does (Cam Fowler for Anaheim, Wisnewski and JJ for Columbus). Both probably won't settle for MDZ and will demand Staal or McDonagh.

Obviously MDZ's upside is much better, but I don't think you lose much if you put Stralman in at 3rd LD and on the powerplay. In fact I think Stralman is slightly better on the powerplay.

MDZ should not be in our top 4 next season unless McDonagh or Staal get hurt. He looked bad on the right side, and so did Stralman. We cannot go into the season expecting them to play as the 2nd right defenseman unless there are some sort of injuries. That is our second biggest need going into the off-season next to a scoring forward.
Stralman is a cast off. He did well this season, but there's a reason he's been jettisoned off of some of the worst teams in the league. He's nowhere near the quality of MDZ.

I agree that Del Zotto would be on the 3rd pair LD. I also agree that he (and every one of our key three LD) don't switch well to their opposite side. I DISagree with the idea that this makes Del Zotto expendable. The team needs two defense-first right sided guys--one to pair with Staal and another (preferably a veteran) to pair with Del Zotto. If they can do that, then that will be where DZ's minutes will come from--right now, McD and Girardi play too damned much. Having three D-Pairs that can actually play will allow Torts to balance the minutes a little better (and maybe work McD onto the powerplay with Del Zotto).