View Single Post
Old
06-17-2012, 01:51 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Coming out of the draft, Richards was never anticipated to be a top-line center. And with Primeau still around, and Forsberg eventually entering the fold, it wasn't needed.

In 08-09, Stevens wanted him to, but he also had to be, Briere got hurt.

And you were likely using nhl.com's total TOI per game, I was only using 5 v 5.
Expectations change once you accomplish something. After he accomplished it for two seasons, it became what was he supposed to do on a yearly basis. If your capable of it, there's no reason not to maximize your potential.

Ah, you're right. That accounts for the difference because of the amount of time Richards spent on special teams. Regardless, his time didn't drop enough in 5v5 to justify a twenty point drop in production over the course of a season. I still believe his role changed as a result of his offensive game declining, not solely because he was asked to take on a more defensive-oriented game plan. I understand that he battled through injuries those years, but that could also be why his game has taken a step back in production. It also doesn't explain why he was used in a similar role in LA this year, because from what I heard, he was relatively healthy going into the playoffs after he recovered from his concussion.