View Single Post
Old
06-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
There seems to be interest now though, so why not see if there is subsequent funding and sponsorship available?
There seemed to be interest in the 1990s and there seemed to be interest in the 2000s. But alright, let them go ahead. I'd love to see them succeed. I was just too enthusiastic about the European Hockey League back in the days to get my hopes up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Morozov? Old Europeans go back to their homelands all the time in the later years of their careers.
Morozov doesn't fit into that category. He was 27 or 28 when he said no to Pittsburgh and yes to Kazan.

Quote:
Radulov? Funny, could have sworn I saw him in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
And before that, he played four years in the KHL because Ufa paid him better than the NHL did. Would have been unthinkable in 10 years ago.

Whether you like the KHL or not is your business. You prefer a Champions League model? Fine. But don't pretend the monetary upturn of Russian hockey has not brought back players from the NHL who wouldn't have returned otherwise.

Quote:
But creating a simple competition is not hard to do at all. The problem is that the IIHF shoots for the stars from the very beginning without developing the league over time and letting history and prestige grow naturally.

It's not hard to put together a schedule and tell the teams involved to go have some fun. Problems arise when you try to make it a big deal before it's a big deal.
Could you please elaborate a bit more precisely? What exactly has the IIHF done wrong in the making of the European Hockey League and then in the making of the Champions Hockey League?

Quote:
Which is why I made the comparison of the MLS expanding into Mexico and Brazil. Obviously that would never fly.
If you really believe in this analogy then you got no reason to fear KHL expansion anyway. No one in Mexico and Brazil would care for MLS expansion franchises? Well, then no one in the Czech Republic is going to care for Lev Praha. Let the KHL expand, their bad.

Quote:
I also don't understand why anyone plays in the KHL when they are second to the NHL.... give me a break. Players don't care about that stuff. Winning a European Championship and a national championship in the same year for their hometown team will give them far more motivation to play in their own country over a few more dollars in artificial KHL.
Right, that's why all the best European players always stayed in Europe and never listened to North America=money calling from the 1970s on...
Quote:
WHA didn't fail - it merged with the NHL. WHA owners made out like bandits from that. They merged because NHL was THREATENED by the WHA.
Again, who's delusional here? 14 teams in 75-76, down to 11 teams in 76-77, 8 teams in 77-78, 6 teams in 78-79. Because of the monetary issues, the WHA wanted to merge with the NHL, but the NHL owners voted against it in 1977. Economically, the WHA did fail.

Quote:
All you care about is money though apparently.
but you don't, because all you care about is success of the KHL. it's obvious. you probably work for Gazprom, don't you?
Others might feel that you sounds like an IIHF spokesperson at times, but they keep their thoughts to themselves and don't argue ad personam here. Maybe you could do the same?

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-17-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: flaming
Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote