Phoenix Coyotes 2012 draft preview
View Single Post
06-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Well, I'm probably on my fiftieth iteration of my draft rankings in anticipation of my favorite day of the year.
This is an incredibly hard draft to rank for Coyote fans. After the acquisition of Rundblad, emergence of OEL at the NHL level (there should be a rule on how many Edmonton Oiler offers can be made on the main board for OEL in a given month), and strong development of Gormely and to a lesser extent last year's first rounder Conner Murphy we absolutely don't really need another top D prospect. I will make this one comment. There isn't a d man available that I think has an upside significantly greater than Gormely. Because of this, for the purposes of my rankings I tended to sway towards forward ahead of defense if I felt players held similar upside.
Truthfully it would have been better for me to simply do separate rankings for Forwards and Defense rather than put together a Top 30 listing. Regardless, here's my list.
1) LW Yakupov - Top talent available
2) C Galchenyuk - His position places him just slightly ahead of Forsberg on my list.
3) RW Forsberg - Safest pick at forward
4) LW Teraivainen - I've ranked him anywhere from 4th to 9th. His upside is Claude Giroux and we desperately need impact forwards.
5) D Murphy - consensus top rated D man
6) D Reilly - Top skating D man
7) D Dumba - He's Bryan Marchmant with offense.
8) D Trouba - All he does is win
9) RW Grigorenko - Top talent but Alexei Kovalev work ethic.
10) D Reinhart - Doesn't use his size effectively which is why I'm not as enamored with him as some.
11) D Maata - Strong playoffs.
12) D Ceci - A favorite of mine on the blueline.
13) C/LW Kerdiles - Top 2 line Center
14) LW Faksa - Decent powerforward
15) C Girgensons - Comparisons to Doan I like. His decision to play in Vermont will cause him to fall in the draft.
16) D Pouliot - Great offensive instincts
17) LW Aberg - 1st line potential
18) C Gaunce - Character 2nd or 3rd line center. If he's the former he goes earlier.
19) RW Colberg
20) D Lindholm
21) C Samuelsson - Huge improvement and seemed to get better as he adjusted to the WHL game.
22) C Laughton
23) LW Hertl
24) D Koekkock
25) RW Wilson - 9 goals. I keep getting stuck on that number
26) D Finn - I'm probably underrating him.
27) G Subban - may God have mercy on my soul
28) LW Matteau
29) LW DiGuiseppe - I like what he did last year at the NCAA level
30) LW Bozon
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by hbk