View Single Post
Old
06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Well, I don't think one forward is enough to "save" us either, i.e. bring us the cup, and I addressed this earlier.

It's not so much that we have to tank, it's that we have to address the need for offensive firepower, and this is just one way of addressing the need. There is no sure-fire way of going about addressing this need, but our management should be considering all of them.

What we absolutely cannot do, is go forward without a plan of addressing this need, and we cannot consider options and their prices in isolation from each other.

And, by no means is this the be-all-end-all of moving the team forward: I consider Boston to have built through the draft, even though many of their contributing players in their cup run were second and later round picks. So, obviously with Timmins, this is a big part of the equation too...but **** me, man, we need firepower!
Well Boston is a case of how you bring in firepower - opportunism. They lucked out with some very good draft picks (Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci), gambled on high reward free agents (Chara), sticking with an identity instead of making panic trades, and pulling the trigger on a good trade when it comes up. Every so often, like all teams, they screw up and use it to draft a high end prospect, yet the two most notable ones were traded away.

Of course they had luck winning the cup - Tim Thomas - but they are usually competitive.

I agree with you that you need a plan, but you need to take things as they come too. Panicing and throwing everything out isn't a plan, it's just another way to gamble. I'd much rather trust the team to draft well, go for in for bringing a free agent or available player who could really make a difference offensively - Semin or Radulov for instance, and then start selling for draft picks if that doesn't work.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote