View Single Post
Old
06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Re: Why doesn't he want to sign in Anaheim.

2 Words. Cam. Fowler.

He knows he'll never be the go-to offensive d-man or power play QB there with Cameron Fowler. He can come here or Vancouver and immediately become the power play QB.
So he knows he can't supplant Fowler - a player younger than him, but will have no issues leap-frogging Edler (22pts on PP), Salo (potential UFA but wants to stay in VAN, 55 career PPG) and Bieksa?

VAN and EDM are nowhere near the same opportunity for Schultz. Everyone seems to be looking for reasons he won't come here, but will go to VAN (play for a winner). Why don't we all think more logically and look at it like this: What is the #1 motivating factor for any player? Money. Where is the majority of the money in a max ELC coming from? Schedule B bonuses (roughly 2.75mil, versus the $925,000 base salary and $92,500 signing bonus). What are some of the Schedule B bonuses he could hit?

(In order of easiest to achieve)
- 3 PPG
- Play on one of the two units on a top 10 ranked PP (we finished 3rd last year)
- 25 assists
- 10 goals
- 40 points
- finish top 4 among D men ice-time

I'm not sure how many he has to hit to max it out, but I'd have to think his chance to do it here would be better than anywhere else given Corey Potter is the only guy standing in his way for PP time. There are other bonuses, but I think these (along with All-Rookie team and top 5 Calder voting) are the attainable ones.

A lot may go into his decision, but remember that the kid has spent 3 years making 0 dollars to play hockey. Money is almost certainly #1 on his list. He'll have the best chance to get paid here.