Thread: Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)
View Single Post
Old
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Fair is one thing, but this is a completely unique situation. The player asked to be here, his family is here. His family is probably the only reason why he was even available for free agency. The agent works for the player and all he wanted to do was sign here. We had so much leverage here. It should not have ended in the fair/slight overpayment category. (It looks worse if he has a NTC/NMC). Even if you feel the number is fair now, at his age 35 season (year 3), his play will drop off making it an overpayment like you said. DW got little to no discount for the multiple years, NTC/NMC, or the faith we showed by trading for BS and doing him that favor.

DW once again shows his poor negotiating skills.
I don't think it was negotiating skills. If he wanted the player, that was the price and he knew it. If I were DW, I would have said "No thanks." The term is a huge risk.

Players don't override agents that much. The PA will side with agents against the player (warnings have been given to players by the PA) against taking discounts.

I do understand the uniqueness of the situation, but I also understand the weight of other issues to which many here give little import.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote