View Single Post
Old
06-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
No, but you are profiling, and ultimately that's a touchy prospect.
Well, touchy apparently for those that are 21yrs old and can't read basic data tables I guess. The alternative is actually being able to look at information, not react unreasonably, and actually note that the data does tell a story. jebus if some person here claimed that 60yr olds make worse air traffic controllers because they're more likely to go nappy time at any point and they had data to back it up I wouldn't be claiming age prejudice and bigotry..

Quote:
You point out that younger men are more likely to commit violent crimes as a reason not to employ younger men in those positions. Well, I would suggest that you would find that African-American are more likely to commit violent crimes per capita than Caucasian men - should we not employ Black men in those positions? Where is that line?
Its easy to define the line. Every car insurance industry in the world does the identical profiling and adjusts insurance rates accordingly. Especially with young males. Is that prejudice? Or statistically backed rates according to data on risk? There are much greater risks employing young 21 yr old males in said capacity, which my link demonstrates.

Pay attention as well that this nature of job, for instance Loomis employees, used to require a higher minimum age and with more related experience. Its only the race to the bottom outsourcing charlatans like G4S that want to always limit qualifications and standards. What related experience did Baumgartner have, blowing away zombies in a video game?

Draw the distinction as well between a basic requirement of minimimum wage, which any company can have within reason and justification, and one that specifically preempts on the basis of race or skin color. Also, any firm has the right to denote certain years of experience. Which is exactly what occurs in almost any industry requiring experience. Is that age prejudice..?
Throw a minimum age of 25 in there, and theres no discrimination, only minimum age requirement. End of story.

You're equating the two only for the purpose of argument. They are really different things.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.