Thread: Rumor: Pavelec KHL
View Single Post
Old
06-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Lethrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Really? I dunno man I think Schenn is a stud and with a coach like Huddy I think he could do big things here
While that might be true, I don't think it translates into being true trade value. An unproven backup out of Nashville with limited experience just got 2 2nd Round Picks, a 3rd, and a backup. To me and surely everyone else, that adds up to value that can only go up.

I think it's pretty fair to assume Schneider and Pavelec have similar values on the open market. Dont forget to take into account that Pavelec has been a #1 goalie for a few years, whereas Schneider hasn't yet.

If Toronto really wanted to go after Pavelec, it's going to cost them more than an unproven and disappointing goaltender in Reimer, and a defenceman that we really dont need considering our depth.

So it does come down to that 5th Overall as a starting point, which only really makes sense if it translates into Galchenyuk being available at the time as we could use help down the middle and he's the only top-tier prospect available. Who is available between picks #5-10 on D are in my opinion, interchangeable. Rielly, Dumba, Trouba, Reinhart, Maatta, take your pick, we'll get one of them at our #9 slot.

And to be honest, Toronto doesn't really have anything I'd really want beyond that.

So seems to me that it's obvious, we need to sign Pavelec to a deal thats fair for both sides. And quite frankly, I don't disagree with him wanting a deal in the $4M+ range, as its exactly what people are speculating Schneider will get, and he didn't carry a troubled defensive team on his back last season.