Thread: Value of: Erik Gudbranson to Pittsburgh
View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't agree with the Pens fans saying the Pens don't need a player like Gudbranson. I think we certainly do. Apart from Orpik, we don't really have any punishers in our top 4. Even if Morrow and Despres reach their ceilings as top 4 defensemen, they're not exactly physical beasts. Gudbranson is *exactly* the kind of defenseman the Pens need.

The price to acquire him, however, is a different story. Florida's got high hopes for him, so whatever that cost is (if Talon would even listen to offers) is probably more than Shero would be willing to pay. But strictly in terms of the Pens needing a player like Gudbranson, I don't understand how anyone can say we don't.
I know. I don't get it either. Pens have no one like him in the system, or on the roster. Harrington (the closest thing to a shutdown type) is at least 2-3 years away from even making the roster, let alone playing a shutdown role. Strait could become something... or just be a 3rd pairing decent D (if he can ever get icetime needed to develop). Orpik/Engelland would be the closest who are on the roster, and while Orpik is a top 4D, he's not a top pairing shutdown guy. Engelland is a solid 3rd pairing guy... but I don't think he could handle a shutdown role, and at 30 I don't see that changing...

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as Staal + 1st, but I'd definitely move Staal for him straight up, or even include any of our NHL D other than Letang (FLA would likely have to add something depending on who). Yes it's steep however there's not many young potentially top pairing D available. Despres might turn into a top pairing guy (without the nasty streak), and Morrow is a PPQB, not a big top pairing shutdown guy. Which is what Gudbranson has the potential to be.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote