View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 02:57 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You know how you end up being the 30th place team in the NHL and have zero cap space? You give unproven players/ or overpay players with long bloated contracts. Ask Edmonton how things have been since they did that in 2006.

Khabibulin, Souray, Horcoff just to name a few.

Ondrej Pavelec has not proven himself to be a 4MM goalie. We hold all of the cards in this case. He has no leverage. He had an atrocious statistical year last year, and has to improve his conditioning and discipline to improve.

Pay him what he is worth. If he leaves for the KHL then he leaves. I don't think he is going to give up his NHL dream over money he doesn't deserve.

At the end of the day, I bet this is all positioning by his agent and he has nothing to do with it.
It's $4mill, not $7. Pavelec is one of the best young goalies in the league around his age. Only a few youngsters are clearly above him developmentally. I don't know why it's so hard to people to understand that young players sometimes get paid for potential. Taveras and Myers both got contracts that are paid for potential but will likely be good deals down the road. And with the cap continuing to likely go up, I don't see why people have such an issue with this. Pavs has made great strides every year for at least 3-4 years and has only 2 seasons under his belt as a full time starter.

He god dam 24. He was good enough to be a god dam starter at twenty-****ing-three. I have witnessed him make strides in his game for years. Just because you haven't seen a thing of him improving before the Jets came to town doesn't mean he has not or can't. How many other 24 year old goalies played as many games as he did this year?

I fail to see the issue here.

And yes I agree with your last part. That is most likely a strong possibility. He might have a bit to do with it, but not much.