View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they replace him or if they go with a more traditionally sized AHL staff.
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/?p=2777

Quote:
Jay McKee will not be rehired as an assistant coach with the Rochester Americans for next season.

Head coach Ron Rolston confirmed tonight that McKee won’t return, but he did not elaborate on what went into his decision. He said only that it was a matter of “fit,” which apparently means McKee wasn’t the right fit.

In some ways, it’s surprising that the organization wouldn’t want McKee to continue to lend his expertise — 13 years of NHL experience surely translates into some sort of valuable knowledge. McKee was very hands-on when it came to teaching the defensemen during practice.

At the same time, assistant coach Chadd Cassidy primarily handled the defense during games, so perhaps their duties overlapped. Who knows, maybe there was even a difference in philosophies.

Somehow I tend to believe there just wasn’t the proper cohesiveness between the coaches that is necessary on a staff. Cassidy and Rolston have been together for six seasons (five with USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program). McKee was brought in I think more by folks in Buffalo and not necessarily by Rolston. They tried it; it didn’t work.

McKee politely declined to discuss the matter. I think it’s safe to say he isn’t happy about the decision.
I like the fact that they let Rolston make the call after trying it.

I wonder if Chris Taylor gets promoted from within. The Sabres seem to like to promote from within when there is an opening like this one.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote