View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Yeah, and he does draw some comparisons to Giroux. Also heard Sakic comparisons, and Kane. If he turns out like any of those guys, he's not only a top 5 player in this draft, he's a top two.

I know Maatta had a solid playoff run, but was a little surprised to see him crack the top ten ahead of Grigorenko. Skill-wise there is no comparison, and there are issues with his skating. Not only that but Maatta is not someone who will punish you, he throws very few hits. I like Maatta and think he'll be a solid NHLer, but he's not without some concerns.

I'm also not convinced that Faksa and Girgensons will be offensive players at the NHL level, so I think ranking them higher than the teens is a reach. Both are great away from the puck, are big, smart and compete, but I don't know that they're second-line NHLers on a good team down the line.
Maatta is one of my favourite defenders in this draft, what he might lack in any one standout skill he makes up for in being so rounded, but a team would have to really want to play it safe to take him that high, in my opinion.

I think he deserves to go in the teens but top 10 seems to be a stretch to me. I guess his excellent playoffs sold him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote