View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Whether or not the Flyers win the Cup does not influence my view of Holmgren. The Flyers are what they are. Things go wrong for no fault of the GM. It is not Holmgrenís fault that Pronger was hurt the last two years. I do think Holmgren has problems, mainly signing players for contracts that are too long and being too quick to react and get rid of 2nd rounders. But I believe that the Flyers are in the mystical realm of disappointment, where if you could assemble the best team ever, somehow they would lose. I have seen too much disappointment over the years with the Flyers to think they will ever win a Cup again until I am dead. I know it is pessimistic, but it helps me cope. The Flyers have helped me handle disappointment really well and taught me to never get my hopes up. Itís a defense mechanism.
I don't blame Homer for our not winning the cup. But I do blame him for always trying to "assemble" as you say. Assembling is why there is a Pronger to have to play without. I love Pronger and he has been a fave player of mine for a long time but the truth of the matter is, we always need to go BUY that one peice of expensive, aging equipment.

Like buying a 2002 BMW over a brand new Ford. Even without injuries, the high mileage alone makes it a risk. Rather than building our product on the blue line (especially), we try to assemble it via trade. It hasn't worked. And to me, the next few years still fall under Homer's regime - therefore, I think without a cup and the ongoing acquisitions and never trying to homegrow a defense, we can't say he is successful.

If we win, I am all in. Sold on the Homer bus. Until then, I wait wondering when we will learn this.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote