Thread: Confirmed with Link: Josh Harding (3 years, $1.9M Cap Hit)
View Single Post
Old
06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Actually I think it's both. The opinions that I've read from the non-Wild fans on the main board almost unanimously were that he would have gotten a lot more, and better odds on a #1 job, on the open market.
If Harding would have been able to find a job elsewhere, he would have made more. But that is a bit of an "if."

Columbus has struck out on Lindback (who they pursued heavily, but Nashville didn't want to trade him within the division) but doesn't seem to want to pay the price for Bernier or Schneider/Luongo. Toronto might have offered him a time-share with Reimer if they don't think Rynnas/Scrivens is ready. Either of those teams would have likely offered in the $2.5-$3.5MM range for 1-2 years.

However, beyond those two, there's not much out there for goalie needs. A few teams might still be looking for backups (Winnipeg, Detroit, NYR) where he likely would have made around $1.5MM AAV. There's even a risk that he would have started the season unemployed until the inevitable injury replacement like Theodore did for him.

Ultimately, I'd have to say it's a fair deal, if slightly generous on the Wild's behalf. Harding could have made more (maybe) but the Wild offered him security.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote