Thread: Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)
View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Winky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
No it's not. It's about versatility. The Sharks already have two star PMD's, that's not a priority for the team, meaning players like Braun and Demers are expendable. You lose a guy like Murray then who's left as your force down low or in front of the net? Braun and Demers don't have the same imposing presence, they won't be able to clear players from the crease as effectively has Murray. Imagine a match-up of Demers/Bruan vs Nash or Perry or Getzlaf or Backes or Doan, and tell me they'll have the same presence as Murray in front of the net. Right...they won't. When you're in a PK situation you can't let those big forwards beat you.

Just because Brad Stuart is here, doesn't mean he can easily replace a guy like Murray in terms of physicality. With Stuart being here what will happen is Murray gets bumped to the last pair and gets less ice time. He won't be forced to share those top even strength minutes alongside Boyle.

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Murray - Braun/Demers

That's one of the most balanced setups we've ever had on defense.

In regards to Murray being horrible, I only remember his play degrading after the hand injury in December, then the guy got unlucky and had to deal with that throat injury. It's not fair to assess his play as "horrible" when he was clearly playing through injuries.

Murray is an important part of this team on and off the ice, losing him will not be ideal.
I agree. I can see DW keeping Murray for the added depth on D go with those 7. His physicality is unmatched by anyone else on the team (though he has seemed to be regressing in that regard). The only change I would welcome would be to get Suter if he'd come here, and move Boyle. Otherwise, that looks like a solid 7 defensemen going into next season.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote