Thread: Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)
View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 12:52 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene are both better puck movers than Murray. If you look at Vancouver, a key reason why their defense was so good in 10-11 wasn't only because they were all decent puck-movers, but they were all mobile. The dump and chase game is practically ineffective against them. And really, Murray's speed is atrocious. Near the end of the season, every team had a playbook of how to enter the zone when Murray was on the ice. You dump the puck on the left side of the ice and you retrieve it because Murray isn't fast enough to get it.

Pressuring the puck carrier is probably the most important aspect of PKing. What Murray does is replaceable (getting into shooting lanes and blocking shots). The Sharks haven't been a crease clearing team since Blake left.

And yes, people are seeing the worst in Murray because of the young-guns. It's because these young guns are better than Murray and their skill sets are a lot harder to come by.
Also, who exactly wants to trade Boyle? I've only seen people trading Boyle if DW signs Carle or Suter.
I can see our Mitchell/Greene being to some extent Stuart/Pickles if Pickles continues his nasty streak of last season and continues to develop.

Remember when Mitchell was a leper because of his concussions? It was a high risk high reward play by Dean but it paid off.

Regardless, I'd still like to have our 7 capable dmen in Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Murray, Demers, Braun and be happy with our depth. I can see us trading one of Murray, Demers, or Braun, but hope it is for a top 6 winger.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote