View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitz and Bites View Post
I was'nt crazy about the idea either but if our scouts feel that Subban has the goods to project as a #1 starting goaltender and the available skaters only have a ceiling as bottom 6 forwards or 5/6 dmen then from an organizational viewpoint you gotta do it.
Having depth at one position does make way for trades to fill the organizational needs we'll have down the line.Because we drafted Schroeder even though we really did'nt any more smallish centres at the time,it helped make the Hodgson deal a lot more doable for MG as we have JS being close to NHL ready.

I realize that right now we really need scoring wingers and more grit throughout the lineup but by having an extra starting goalie we can now deal,we should be able to address that need this summer.By the time Subban is NHL ready,we just might be in a similar position again,if not sooner.
It's much harder to do a goalie trade now than it is for a skater. Pool of teams looking for a goalie is very small. Just the reality of how things are. Only 60 spots in the NHL for a goalie, 30 of them starters.

Of the 30 starters last season, how many were acquired via trade post lockout? That's 7 seasons, so quite a long time.

Avs and Nucks with Varlamov and Luongo - Varly for a 1st and 2nd. Lu, Krajchek for Bert and Allen
Stars with Lehtonen - Ivan Vishnevsky and a 4th.
Halak - Eller and Schultz
Anderson - Elliott
Bry - spare parts as a soon to be UFA
Roloson - Wishart

Very mininal trades involving goalies.

Team isn't in a dire need for goaltending yet, so I would focus on getting Dmen or Forwards in the early rounds. Take a flyer on a goalie in the mid rounds and hope you get lucky and find another Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick from rounds 3 onward.

3 or 4 drafts from now, if you haven't gotten lucky on one of these goalies, then use a higher pick.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote