View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Cocoa Crisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Schneider didn't play in the WJC until after he was drafted. His showing was above avg, but I don't recall him being a star in that tournament. Interestingly though, Subban may be Canada's goalie for this year's WJC.

I don't necessarily think the Canucks should go out their way to draft the kid, but if he's there by the time they make their pick and none of the other guys that they had an eye on made it to that point, then I think Subban is a good pick, regardless of whether or not the Canucks need another goalie. This draft just sounds like a complete crapshoot with fairly middling prospects.
You're correct. He didn't play for team USA until 2004 and 2005. He played well in both tourneys and won gold on '04. As for my central argument, I stand by it: drafting BPA is a good general policy except in two cases: goalies and stay-at-home dmen. Neither is a readily liquifiable asset in the years after they've been drafted, which defeats the purpose of drafting BPA (flipping an asset for an identified need later on). Zach Kassian can net you Cody Hodgson and David Rundblad can net you Kyle Turris. Cory Schneider in '08, despite developing exceptionally well since being drafted, might net you a mid 2nd and futures.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote