Thread: Confirmed with Link: Curt Fraser named Assistant Coach
View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Several things stuck out to me from the official websites article on Fraser:

Quote:
Fraser got some friendly advice from Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland and Assistant GM Jim Nill.

“They both told me this is a great spot, a great leadership group led by Joe Nieuwendyk,” Fraser said. “They said ‘you’ve got to go talk to these guys.’”
I didn't quote this part, but Dallas had to receive permission from Detroit to talk with him. He was still under contract.

Quote:
Once his career ended in 1990, Brian Burke, then Director of Hockey Operations in Vancouver, and Canucks coach Pat Quinn helped pushed him towards coaching.
It's not been reported that Burke recommended Fraser to Dallas or anything, but seeing that note reminded me that I believe Crawford was recommended to GM Joe Nieuwendyk by Burke. Not after he was hired by Dallas, but apparently when Joe was at Toronto Burke mentioned Crawford was a good coach, IIRC. I don't remember the exact details, but I just seem to remember GMJN mentioning Burke was high on Crawford or something.

Quote:
Fraser, who early in his coaching career had a reputation of being volatile, learned some patience as he helped Red Wings prospects find their way to the NHL.

“I was a pretty demanding coach. There are no easy ways to win. You’ve got to push hard. That’s what I did,” Fraser said. “The last four years, working with young kids, developing them, I’ve become much more patient and you’ve got to be a real great communicator. You’ve got to speed them up and teach them to play a much different game than they are used to. I think the experience in Grand Rapids and working with Detroit really helped me.
That's great that he's learned to be patient, but I imagine he could also play "bad cop" which might be one of the reasons they like him.

Quote:
“I’ve been around for a while but working with a guy like Mike Babcock, he’s a fantastic coach. Ken Holland and Jimmy Nill, there’s not much better than that. I’ve got great memories of the last four years of working with the Wings. I’ve learned a ton, it’s helped me as a coach and hopefully I can bring some of it to the Dallas Stars.”

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote