Thread: Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)
View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
oyster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Before I use GVA's in this argument, I do want to state that giveaways are not the perfect gauge for assessing quality of passes or the player's decisions with the puck, but they do provide some insight into whether the guy is a complete scrub, as you seem to suggest with Murray.

Giveaways per game:
Mitchell - .72
Greene - .536

Murray - .55

If Murray is as horrible with moving the puck as you're making him out to be, wouldn't his bad decisions reflect the GVA column? Even remotely? Instead Mitchell seems to turn the puck over more, and Greene is on par with Murray.
Arguing for giveaways/game as any sort of metric seems pretty lousy to me. You're not measuring successful passes, only the total amount of passes intercepted and the total amount of games played. Thornton has more than double Murray's giveaways/game, Boyle exceeds Murray with .81/game. Murray's passing game is not superior to either in any way. There are too many other variables at play. Does the player spend a lot of time on the power play? Average ice time? Player's role? Etc.

I know you very clearly qualified this metric as "not perfect", but that doesn't make it good or fair either.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote