View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Without question, I'd say more than 75% of the people on this board who post about prospects have never seen them play -- at least not more than once. They'll tell you differently, but I'd bet they're lying... unless they foolishly consider highlight tapes sufficient.
I'll be the first to confess that, as a resident of Northern Virgnia, I've seen very little of most of the players in the draft. The highlight clips, the occasional CHL game shown on the NHL Network, the prospects game, and the WJC.

That said, in lieu of becoming a Saturday evening scouting warrior, what do you expect of most fans? Would seeing a player a few times in person (with no particular scouting expertise or experience) really be better than basing an opinion off of the views of multiple professional scouts.

The only alternative is to sit back and simply wait for the draft to happen, and accept that the pick was brilliant after the fact. To be honest, I think most of us _are_ inclined to give the Flyers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to first round selections--they have a strong track record--but that doesn't mean we can't engage in relatively informed speculation ahead of time, does it?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote