View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Pog Form

vCash: 500
I didn't start playing until I was 16 (about 11 years ago) so by the time I broke into midget house league, all the good players would have already been playing much better hockey, so I never played against any future superstars. I've played in a few charity tournaments with/against some Maple Leafs alumni (with I guess Gary Leeman being the most notable?) but I don't think that counts.

If we're talking actual "competitive" hockey, I'd say the best was probably Rane Carnegie who played five years of major junior then hopped around the minor pro leagues in North America before going over to Europe. Anyway, it was only last year, so I think he was maybe already done with high-level hockey, but he was a sub on one of the teams in my C-level beer league. I think he scored twice against us the one time we played him (we lost 3-1) and he popped like 15 goals in the five games he played overall.

He was by far the best player on the ice in that game, but he took it pretty easy, kind of playing to the level of the rest of the guys, which I thought was cool of him. He was tough as hell to defend and he actually gave me a hard time for slashing his stick a few times. I pleaded my case though and told him it was all I could do to stand a chance and he had a bit of a laugh which was fun.

I didn't realize who he was until afterwards and when I looked into it I learned that his grandfather was the late Herb Carnegie who passed away earlier this year (RIP). If you're not familiar with Mr. Carnegie's story, you should check it out here.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote