View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I don't disagree with most of this but the fact is there are many idiotic fans in the 'burgh and every other city...

Point being, fans can be irrational and I'm sure Kovacevik is just spewing out what he hears. .
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote