View Single Post
Old
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
After the disappointments of Blackburn (due only to injury, I know) and Montoya in the 1st round and LaFleur busting hard in the 2nd, I believe that Sather and his staff have shifted toward a philosophy of looking for goaltenders in the mid-to-later rounds (i.e. Stacjer) as well as free agency. They take longer to develop and have just as good a chance of becoming an impact player if drafted in the 3rd round or later (Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Quick, Kiprusoff and Miller to name a few). I think there is more risk in drafting a goaltender early than any other position.
Not to get off topic here but I think what you wrote is commonly believed, even though I believe it's wrong and not backed up by actual stats.

I just went through the goalies who are the current starters for each team in the East and 9 of the 15 were picked in the 1st or 2nd round. Three were picked in rounds 3 and 4. Only 3 were picked after the 4th round.

I would have no problem with the Rangers taking Subban in round one because I believe he has a better chance of being an NHL starting goalie than the forwards and defensemen who will be around at pick #28 have of being impact players at their positions.

I think the Rangers should look to bring in a top goalie prospect as insurance...but they probably won't. Many organizations who have had a stud goalie ignore the position at the draft, like Colorado and Roy, and then have a hard time finding the right replacement.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote