Thread: Speculation: asst. coaching candidates
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Vyborny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
They were the best the first season with Todd, Richards, Yawn and Wood in the video role. They haven't been the same since. Wood needs to return to video. Shaw couldn't make proper adjustments and fill Richards' shoes. He is there because of his prior relationship with Todd.

I know we would all like to see Ricci or Marchment back but there are a few other guys with Sharks ties that I could see as options. I feel like DW is waiting to see what happens with Granato in Pitt. I would also talk with Vinny Damphousse, simply because of his hockey IQ, similar to Adam Oats' role with NJD. Also Mike Grier could be an interesting consideration because he comes from a background of coaches (his father and brother in the NFL) and has that work ethic we all feel the team has been missing.

I think the Devils staff that lead them to the finals is a great staff to mimic. A smart, young coach (Deboer - Todd). A crafty offensive minded coach (Oats - Vinny/Granato). And a classic defensive minded, gritty ex player (Larry Robinson - ?)

Also Ricci has said that he likes his position in the past because of the lack of travel and staying close to his family. I love Marchment but I don't think he has the right tools to improve our PK and inspire solid defensive play.

Thoughts?
Good post. As cool as it would be to have a sharks alumni as asst coach, i'm more in favor to have someone with a little more coaching experience. I'm not so sure Ricci and Marchment would be technical enough. Granato and Damphousse would be interesting options, but my money is on DW hiring asst. coaches who are less popular, but have more coaching background.

Vyborny is offline   Reply With Quote