View Single Post
Old
06-21-2012, 09:06 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Picking goalies in the mid rounds or very late is not a reliable method of giving your organization stability in what is the most critical position in the game. We got lucky with Henrik. Plain and simple.

We weren't so lucky it's true with Blackburn (though he should have been a good one), Montoya or LaFleur. Keeping in mind that we have Benoit Allaire as a goalie coach he should be able to mold a real talent into a very good if not great NHL goaltender. Montoya and Blackburn did not have that luxury and both of them were injury prone.

Currently Stajcer, Missiaen, Talbot and Johnson may all be good but their upsides don't lead anyone here (I wouldn't think) to believe that any of them will be much more than an NHL backup. Biron IMO has a limited shelf life at this point. For the most part he played well in the limited amount of games he played but he was more shaky towards the end of the year and if Henrik had got hurt towards the end or in the playoffs IMO--it would have been all over right then and there.

Now between Vasilevskiy and Subban--Vasilevskiy sounds like he's going to be the better goalie--but it also sounds like he might not be here for 4 or 5 years which is an awful long time to wait for someone. If I was thinking that I might be more inclined to go with Subban or Dansk.

OTOH it seems like there are a number of 2nd round worthy goalies beyond those three. I'm not absolutely fixed on any particular player or position for our 1st rounder--but I definitely think goaltending is an area that needs addressing really soon.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote