View Single Post
Old
06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I can't understand why a few on here want to trade Cole. He's not going anywhere. Granted nothing is a given, Cole will have to earn it, but I do see Cole taking Cola's Spot on the Defense at the start of next season.

I'd love to see Suter or Garrison, or a stud Defender aquired via trade as well, as we wait to see what chips Armstrong has up his sleeve soon.
Its a couple things:

Playing the 7th man is going to be counerproductive for Cole's continued development. It would be better if he had a fulltime spot either in AHL or NHL...and Armstrong has gone out of his way to mention that Cole is ready for full-time NHL duty.

Now, might that mean a roster spot, but frequent healthy scratches? He did that a fair bit this season.

The pluses for the Blues are that he gives some solid NHL depth at the position, and he's inexpensive being on his ELC. THe negatives are that his long-term future may be hampered with the lack of playing time.

However, injuries are a given...and I think the team will end up keeping him if they're able to sign (say Garrison) as UFA. If that occurs, I think they'll get a couple bottom 6 guys (maybe just re-sign some of last year's players) and the off-season will be all but done. But Cole is also a piece they can afford to move if a team need hasn't been addressed yet (this is all assuming they get a top pairing guy either as UFA or in trade).

But I don't believe I've seen anyone advocating trading Cole for the sake of moving him alone.