View Single Post
Old
11-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Harry Sinbin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
What I was told, and again- this is all in hindsight, and based on a conversation I had a few years back with someone involved- is that the Bruins wanted three players very badly:

Rick DiPietro, Dany Heatley and Scott Hartnell.

They attempted to work a trade into the top-three, not knowing that Mike Milbury was going to trade Roberto Luongo AND Kevin Weekes on the same day in order to grab DiPietro with the top pick.

Apparently, the Bruins were going for DiPietro at the top, but would've taken Heatley next, with Hartnell being the third guy they were willing to give up a lot (Anson Carter, multiple 1sts, prospects) to consummate a deal. Unfortunately for them, the teams they talked with were very sold on the available players, and wanted a lot more from Boston.

The rest, as they say, is history.

The Isles grabbed DiPietro, Thrashers- Heatley, and Hartnell nearly slipped all the way down to the B's. In the HF Editor Mock Draft, someone actually drafted Anton Volchenkov with the Predators' pick, allowing me to select Hartnell 7th for the Bruins. Alas, reality played out differently. But this kind of thing is a lot of fun to speculate about.

The 2000 draft wasn't considered all that great going into it, but it is actually shaping up to be one of the best years in recent memory given how well a lot of the players have turned out.
I remember getting ready to puke because of the rumours that Boston wanted to move all the way up to get DiPietro with the number one pick. He definately didn't seem like the sure thing required for a sane person to do something like that.

Still there would have been nothing to prevent Boston from going fairly hard after the number five pick from Milbury after Hartnell didn't go in the top four. Since Milbury was more interested in Torres than Hartnell and Mike was picking Torres a few spots higher than his consensus ranking, a last minute deal may have been workable. The one thing that may have prevented it was that, given the type of player Nashville tends to pick, Milbury may have been too concerned that Nashville would go after Torres at number six. If Milbury didn't have a backup choice than perhaps he may have asked for too much for Boston to move up just two spots.