06-22-2012, 12:38 AM
FlashyG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeX4cavalier View Post
No he didn't, and Schneider has more potential then Halak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Uhh.. Halak had never put up numbers near as good as Schneider's, and since he had no pedigree before his Cinderella run to the ECF many GMs were likely wondering if it was a fluke. He's also a smaller goalie which turns many teams off.

Then you have Schneider: a former 1st round draft pick, winner of an AHL goalie of the year award, has dominated every level he's played, and just dethroned Luongo (a goalie one year removed from a Vezna nomination with top 3 stats since the lockout) from his starting job. People like to relate the two situations, but I'd argue that Schneider is more proven now than Halak was when he was traded. Halak had never played a full season of pro hockey, many wondered if he could adapt to the rigors of it. Couple that with the fact that there have been many "one hit wonder" goalies in the past, and it creates a degree of uncertainty.

I know many people don't want to look at it that way, and there certainly are other ways to interpret the two situations, but personally I think Schneider holds more value than Halak did back then.
Only 1 winner in the history of the award for the AHL's best goalie has managed to translate that into success as an NHL starter. (Ryan Miller)

In the 2 years before Halak got traded his team put up 41, and 39 wins, Vancouver has topped 50 in each of Schneider's 2 seasons where he played any significant time. The difference between their save% over those 2 years is .13, but Halak played 79 games to Schneider's 58.

Schneider might have had slightly better numbers but Halak was FAR more proven as a starter, and in my opinion slightly more valuable than Schneider is right now.

Schneider hasn't played more than 33 games in a season yet, nobody knows how he'll stand up to the grind of a full season. The Canucks might end up regretting letting Luongo go.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote