View Single Post
Old
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You're way too quick at pulling the gun on Halak. He had played extremely well in the NHL when called upon prior to that run.

Also, you're conveniently forgetting his performances for Slovakia at the Olympics, adding greatly to his stocks.

In my opinion, Schneider, who I like by the way, is one (slight) step behind where Halak was when traded to St. Louis. His value would be similar.
Having seen both goaltenders play nearly every game they started prior to Halak's departure. I would have to disagree. Schneider has proven more simply by virtue of how fast he adjusted to the NHL, only to then put up phenomenal numbers as a backup until eventually dethroning Luongo, who as Luck 6 stated, was a year removed from a Vezina nomination. The only exception would be the playoffs, where Halak was out of this world fantastic. Even then he did struggle in a few games, given reason to believe in uncertainty for GMs.

Regardless, practically everyone agrees Montreal was ripped off in how little Halak returned. Gauthier did not start a bidding war and rumors suggest he never even contacted other GMs. Considering more recent trades, namely involving Kaberle and Cammalleri. There stands to be some truth to those claims. Never mind if we date back to Gomez. The latter side of Gainey's tenure was not a pretty sight.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote