View Single Post
Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM

vCash: 500
Coyotes drafting history

With the draft coming up I was just looking through some of the past drafts to see if there were any years that the Coyotes did really good or really bad. As we all know there have been many more really bad years than good.

Using 40 games played per year since their draft as a marker the following players seemed to be decent picks:

1996: Briere
2001: Sjostrom
2004: Wheeler & Winnik
2005: Hanzal & Yandle
2006: Mueller
2008: Boedker
2009: Ekman-Larsson

Honorable mention go to: Letowski (1996), Vaananen (1998), Eager (2002), and Turris (2007) who averaged just under 40 games a year every year since their draft.

Out of 9 draft picks from 2003, none of them have played a game in the NHL. That's a killer. Out of 9 picks in 1999 only 48 NHL games were played by those selections.

Other than OEL, we have not seen a single draft pick in the past 3 years play a game in the NHL.

If you had to pick someone from our 2010 draft to be a regular player I am sure we are all hoping it's Gormley. With only 5 picks that year we'd be lucky to strike gold on that pick to otherwise save that draft year. Visentin is another guy that would be nice to see develop and is the only other guy from that draft that we even have under contract I believe.

They always say to judge a draft after 5 years. Our 2007 draft as a whole has been largely a bust. Turris with the top pick was decent, but we know how that turned out. Ross & MacLean are likely done. Gistedt, Ruzicka, Goncharov, and Darling are definitely done.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote