Thread: Starr / McGuire
View Single Post
Old
06-22-2012, 11:52 AM
JohnnyReb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The real controversy yesterday wasn't that he said that's a move he'd try to do if he was the Oiler's GM.

It was that he said it would actually be a feasible move for Edmonton, i.e. something that Montreal might go along with. This is in contrast to how most in Montreal take that deal as a complete non-starter they'd have no interest in.

This lead to the implication that McGuire believed either that:
1. It was the starting point for a fair deal for Montreal that a reasonable management team would except.

or

2. Its a bad deal for Montreal but they are dumb enough to do it.

Neither reflects well on McGuire.

But people should listen to what he actually said and form their opinions on that rather than rely on hearsay. Taking words out of context and twisting them to fit agenda's seems to be half the stupid media firestorms that surrounding this club.
Exactly. So what if he said it from Edmonton's perspective?? Obviously he felt it was a "fair" deal, otherwise why say it? It would be akin to him saying "If I was Marc Bergevin I would call up Ray Shero and ask for Sydney Crosby. I'd offer the 3rd overall and something else."

You can't then turn around and then claim that it's a stupid deal that Pittsburgh would never accept! It's your own deal! If it's such a stupid deal that would never be accepted, why did you suggest it?? While doing the segment they cut away to a video of PK Subban during a national anthem. Obviously McGuire prepped the TV crew to have it ready, meaning it wasn't "off the cuff" or in response to a sudden question. It was the beginning of a segment, they all knew what the segment was going to be about, and they all prepared their comments accordingly. It's what you do when you're in the business.

McGuire apparently thought it was the basis for a fair deal ("absolutely" he said), meaning that any Montreal GM would be inclined to accept it. And since he was "almost" Montreal's GM... He didn't say "the only way Edmonton should trade the #1 is if a team like Montreal is willing to overpay, with say Subban and the 3rd..." No. He said that "absolutely you can get it done."

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote