Thread: Eric Himelfarb
View Single Post
Old
11-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
from what i've heard and read of the guy, the defensive end isn't his specialty (ie he may need an intro to his goaltender if they never met off the ice). am i wrong in that??
It's not his specialty in juniors, no. He's a high-tempo offensive player in juniors. However he showed in camp just how versatile he could be as he played a more defensive, chippy, high-tempo aggravator role instead.

What impressed me most about Himelfarb was how much he had improved from his first camp to his second. In his first camp it was clear that not only was size a major hurdle, but his lack of acceleration and top end speed was as well. Just a year later, his speed and acceleration had become an upside to his game. He trained hard, and became a fantastic skater (to the point that he was skating circles around Montreal prospects).

This dedication, and change to his game is extremely impressive. For those that say Himelfarb never improved his game during his junior stint: they're right, in terms of pure offensive development. But Himelfarb's game was stronger in terms of skating, speed, with more maturity and poise.