View Single Post
Old
06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
With the 134th overall pick, from Seattle in the WHL, Dallas selects Branden Troock.

Height: 6' 2.75"
Weight: 194 lbs.
Wing Span: 74"
Shoots: R
Position: RW
Birthday: March 3rd, 1994
2011-12: 58GP - 14G - 12A - 26PTS - 83PIM - (-16)
WJC-18: 7GP - 0G - 1A - 1PTS - 10PIM - (-1)

Les Jackson
:
Quote:
He’s a talented kid and I suspect this year he’ll take a step forward,” said Jackson. “He’s a big kid with really good hands and skills. Good skater with the puck, he’s slippery. There are some good raw qualities there that will help him get to the next level. He’s a pretty intriguing player.”
November 15th, 2011 - This article details the events leading to his recovery from a nerve issue that mimicked a concussion costing him an entire season. I'm posting the scouting report from the article:
Quote:
An NHL scout agrees.

"I'd be surprised if all 30 teams weren't looking at him," said the scout, who requested anonymity. "He has size, skill, hockey sense and an instinct to score, but he also has a lot of catching up to do. There are inconsistencies because of not playing. As long as the effort, the grit and determination to battle and compete are there, he should develop."
June 11th, 2012 - The Last Word:
Quote:
Troock is a very good skater for his size. He has good acceleration and very good top end speed. Troock has good use of his edges and has good agility, both of which help him to be able to make quick, tight turns and pivots. Troock has extremely good balance and is very strong on his skates; which makes him extremely difficult to knock off the puck.

Troock uses that good skating ability to its full advantage in the offensive end of the rink. Off the rush he loves to take the puck wide on a defender and then cut to and drive the net hard looking for an offensive chance. On the forecheck he is punishing, using his size and speed to make defenders think they’ve been hit by a truck. He uses his size and strength to win board battles and to get to the front of the net. Troock has a hard, accurate shot, with a decent but not great release. Troock’s hockey sense and decision making were poor at the start of the season, however these have really come around with more playing time and as Troock has found his groove. His second half of the season was much better than the first half of the year. His vision and playmaking skills are a weakness however as we’d say they are below average when looking at the forwards we’ve ranked to date.

Troock is adequate defensively, but is continuing to improve. Early in the year his defensive positioning and ability to read and react to plays was really behind. However as he got more and more games under his belt these aspects of his game really improved to the point where he is no a decent defender. His strength and ability to win board battles is of great use in the defensive zone, as is his willingness to throw his weight around. Overall continued improvement defensively is required, but Troock has really shown that it is something that is getting better all the time.

As we said earlier, Troock is a bit of a project, however we have seen all aspects of his game improve throughout the year with more and more playing time. We believe his max potential is to become a player similar to Ryan Malone of the Tampa Bay Lightning. However there is risk here due to the long layoff, and without the scoring touch developping he might end up as a third liner. Of course there is also the risk that the missed development time will be too much to overcome, or that his injuries will reoccur causing him to bust out completely. For these reasons Troock is a serious boom or bust candidate ans has been downgraded in our ranks accordingly.
With the 134th overall pick, from KalPa in Finland, Dallas selects Henri Kiviaho.

Kari Takko:
Quote:
“Good size, quick feet. He stole the No. 1 job around Christmas and after that he was very good the second half,” said Takko. “I was so happy that he didn’t make any of those national tournaments, so he was a dark horse for the draft for us in Europe because there was not a lot of coverage of him.”
With the 183rd overall pick, from the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, Dallas selects Dmitry Sinitsyn.

Les Jackson
:
Quote:
“He’s a big kid with some really good puck skills and has a good feel for the offensive part of the game,” said Jackson. “I think that his going to school for four years is a good match for him because he’ll get tested there against older players. That will be a good developmental step for him. He’s a bright kid and I think that is a great spot for him.”
October 25th, 2010:
Quote:
Future NHL stars: Midwest (Dima Sinitsyn)

Dima Sinitsyn

Team: Dallas Stars Midget Minor AAA

Position: Forward

Birthdate: 1994

Overall Player Rating: A-

Skating ability: Above average

Shooting ability: Above average

Passing ability: Above average

Weakness: Takes untimely penalties

Intangibles: All purpose forward with special team ability

Stats: Through ten games this season for the Stars, Sinitsyn has three goals, four assists and eight penalty minutes.

Career potential: Sinitsym has it all. He skates extremely well, makes smart passes, has a very accurate shot and has the size to dominate at this level. While the Moscow native does hurt his team with costly penalties at times, he more than makes up fir it with his offensive skills as well as his back checking ability in his own end. With another year or two of seasoning, Sinitsym will be a major force at the Junior level.
January 16th, 2012:
Quote:
Highly-Touted Russian Joins the River Hawks
January 16, 2012

The River Hawks have snapped up a highly-touted 17-year-old Russian defenseman who will become the youngest player in Division I hockey when he plays his first Hockey East game.

Dima Sinitsyn, a 6-2, 190-pound — “He’s actually a little bigger than that,” said coach Norm Bazin — NHL prospect with strong offensive skills, began practicing with the River Hawks after enrolling at UMass Lowell earlier today. As soon as Bazin thinks Sinitsyn is ready to play in a league where many players are six and seven years older than he is, he’ll be inserted into the 14th-ranked River Hawks’ lineup.

“Hopefully it’s this year,” Bazin said. “Right now he looks like a kid who had been traveling for 18 hours to get here. We have to give him some time to get acclimated.”

Sinitsyn had been home in Moscow since playing his last game for the Dallas, Texas, Under-16 Team last March in a national midget tournament. Sinitsyn led his midget team in scoring with 11 goals and 31 points in 36 games. Bazin’s assistants, Jason Lammers and Cam Ellsworth, both scouted him while he was playing midget hockey in the Lone Star State “and have an understanding of what he is,” Bazin said.

According to the United States Hockey Report, Sinitsyn was selected in the U.S. Hockey League draft by the Green Bay Gamblers last spring. But the Gamblers were over the league limit for foreign junior players and traded his rights to the Sioux Falls Stampede. But Sinitsyn’s student visa had expired after he graduated from high school in Dallas, and he was unable to obtain another one.

Bazin and his staff spent the last couple of months trying to arrange a visa for him, and they finally did.

“I’ve had experience with recruits from France, Norway, and Sweden,” Bazin said. “But this is the first time we’ve tried dealing with Russia, and I never knew it could be this difficult.”

Getting Sinitsyn is believed to be a recruiting coup for UMass Lowell. Had Bazin and his staff not done the work to get him into school now, the River Hawks likely would have lost him to a more high-powered Division I school. An NHL scout told the United States Hockey Report that Sinitsyn is likely to be selected in the NHL draft in June.

“We want to be aggressive in our recruiting efforts,” said the first-year UML coach, “and when you see someone who fits your blueprint for the future you have to go after him.”

Sinitsyn’s mother teaches English in Russia and she wanted him to attend college in the U.S.

“He’s trilingual, articulate, intelligent, and a wonderful student,” Bazin said.

And, apparently, one heckuva hockey player.
January 18th, 2012:
Quote:
Lowell Adds Moscow Native, Youngest D-I Player

by Scott McLaughlin/CHN Writer

Adding players midseason is rare in and of itself. Adding 17-year-old Russians who haven't played since last March is unheard of. But that's exactly what Massachusetts-Lowell did this week, as the team announced on Tuesday that it has added 6-foot-2 defenseman Dima Sinitsyn to its roster.

It took longer than Bazin anticipated, but Sinitsyn's visa was finally approved over the weekend, and he was on an 18-hour flight to Boston a short time later. Sinitsyn, whom Bazin described as "an offensive type of defenseman," arrived on Lowell's campus Monday and practiced with the team for the first time that same day.

Of course, no one is expecting Sinitsyn's transition to be easy. Division-I hockey is a big step up from midget minors, especially for someone whom Bazin said is still filling out his frame.

"It's certainly a challenge," Bazin said. "It's going to be a work in progress. He's a young boy who's going to have to learn our systems and watch some games to get a feel for things. And obviously he'll need to get acclimated to a new culture and start a new school. So there's a lot of different hurdles he's going to have to get through, but we're confident he'll be able to overcome them."

That difficult transition raises questions about why Sinitsyn was brought in now rather than after the season, when there would be more time for him to get settled. Bazin said they wanted to get him on campus now, though, so he could start the transition as soon as possible.

Bazin said it's much too early to set any sort or timetable for Sinitsyn's first game action. He'll only play once Bazin and his staff feel he's up to speed and ready to help the team win. If that isn't before the end of the season, Bazin said redshirting Sinitsyn would be an option so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility.

"I hope he can compete for playing time by the end of this season, but that's yet to be determined," Bazin said. "It really depends how he makes the jump and what his learning curve is. I won't rush him into anything. We feel he's going to be a big part of our future, and that's the way we want to attack it for now."
This is from Lowell newspaper with no active link:
Quote:
It took only two practices for UML goaltender Doug Carr to announce that Sinitsyn already as the best shot on the team. Sinitsyn said Carr hasn't seen anything yet.

"I didn't get my sticks yet, so I have to use somebody else's. They're too wimpy," he said. "The part of hockey I care about most is my shot. I can't shoot now, and it frustrates me."

Last edited by BigG44: 06-24-2012 at 10:09 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote