View Single Post
Old
11-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac
i don't think grier, konowalchuk, or thornton should be compared with scatchard.

konowalchuk is 31 and even though most players this age are in their prime, it appears he is in decline. thornton is about to be 33 and, after his last season appears to be on the decline as well (although, admittedly injuries looked to be a factor here). grier, after putting the biscuit in the basket for the oilers earlier in his career seems to be declining too, despite the fact that he is only to turn 29 in january. furthermore, it is obvious that these players have maxed out in terms of production (although playing in colorado could do wonders for anyone's offensive numbers...including my own).

even though scatchard is 27 years old, i don't think he has hit the ceiling in terms of his all around game or point totals. the reason why i feel this way is that i've factored into this that he only had 6 pp points last year because he was the team's third line centre. i say if he is given second line ice time (perhaps 18-20 minutes per game instead of the 14:29 he averaged in 2002-2003), his point totals could continue to grow. let's not forget he notched 27 goals last season which, as we all know, is excellent production in today's nhl.

for these reasons, i believe scatchard's value is at an all time high right now and therefore should not be compared with the players mentioned above. now, could he land zetterberg? no. but, because he is due what is considered to be a reasonable salary, i can't see the isles moving him for second tier prospects. here, i agree with other isles fans: if scatchard is moved he would be packaged to bring back something substantial.
right on! those players are no dave scatchard. wow. horrible comparisons.