View Single Post
Old
11-28-2003, 02:39 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
Sandy McCarthy is about the biggest waste of a roster spot I've ever seen. Today (as usual) we could have used a boost from a fight. The Preds have plenty of guys who would have obliged, yet he just took his normal meaningless shifts. We need a guy who will spark the team, not a guy who thinks people are scared of him staring at them. He's a joke.
I spoke to soon ; I like McCarthy but their should be a bonus clause for fighting in his contract starting at 10 or 12 and I'm serious. Its probably illegal but it would work if you could get away with it.

Here's the problem with guys like McCarthy: Schultz in his book 'The Hammer' said after he got to the Kings and was in his 30's, married, kids, knew alot of the guys around the league (and liked) he wanted to just play some hockey BUT there were these new wave of kids coming up that wanted to test the old gunfighter. (It for all intensive purposes ended the career of Schultz; but you live by the sword you die by it and thats what happened to one of the games great goons of alltime- certainly, one of the top 5 who ever played the game imo)