Old
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
http://oshawagenerals.com/roster/show/id/7447

Quote:
After being selected 3rd overall in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection by the Generals, Scott Laughton has done some big things. He had a fine rookie season for the Generals a year ago, he was an Assistant Captain on Ontario’s Gold Medal winning Under-17 team last Christmas and he scored the game winning goal for Canada in the Gold Medal game at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Under-18 Tournament this past August. Look for the aggressive two-way centre to have a big season as he is considered a top prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft next June.
  • Hometown: Oakville, ON
  • Birthdate: 1994-05-30
  • Height 6.01"
  • Weight 178
  • Shoots/Catches: Left
  • Position: Centre

Favourites:
  • NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Player: Mike Richards
  • Movie: The Other Guys
  • Band/Singer: Carrie Underwood
  • TV Show: Sportscentre
  • Colour: Red
  • Video Game: NHL 11
  • Pump Up Song: New Noise- Refused

----------------------------------------------

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/...Scott_Laughton

Quote:
The Oshawa Generals center scored just three goals in his first 25 games, dropping off from consideration as a solid first-round candidate for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh June 22. After some internal juggling in November got the club jump started in the right direction, Laughton’s production took off. Laughton finished the year with 18 markers in his last 39 contests, but his real impact was not felt until he suited up for Team Canada at the World Under-18 Championship in Brno, Czech Republic last April.

“I was gripping the stick tight and things weren’t going my way,” Laughton told New England Hockey Journal. “As the season went on, we had a coaching change and I got a fresh start. I was getting power play minutes and then got a tremendous boost getting to skate on a line with (Christian) Thomas and (Andy) Andreoff. That really got things going in the right direction, because both are great players with a lot of skill and experience in our league."

Laughton’s Generals squad felt the disappointment of being knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, but as the old adage goes: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. The Oakville, Ontario native did exactly that, establishing himself as Canada’s top forward at the tournament, grabbing the attention of scouts and observers with his energy and clutch play.

“The Under 18s was the finishing touch,” Laughton told New England Hockey Journal when asked to characterize his feelings heading into the draft. “It isn’t a secret that I had a bit of a rough start, but as my team came together I was able to have more success offensively. By the time I had the opportunity to play for Team Canada, I felt pretty good about my game and was able to capitalize on being surrounded with some great players.”
----------------------------------------------
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey,wp6283

Quote:
Draft tracker: 5 questions with Scott Laughton, Oshawa Generals

1. You have often cited Mike Richards as a player you try to model your game upon. Why him?

"I think he just plays the right way. He's a good Canadian guy who always seems to play well near the end of the season, plays in playoffs. He wins draws, he's on the penalty kill, he does everything to help his team win. He's a leader and that's why I look up to him."

2. In your mind, what would scouts say is the biggest area of your game you have to improve before you can turn pro, aside from the obvious like improving speed and strength?

"I think I just my offensive game and my creativity. I think I have shown that in the past couple games. Obviously speed is a big one, too, going to the next level everyone."

3. Outside of family, who has had the most impact on your hockey development?

"Probably my [Toronto Marlboros] minor hockey coach, Dan Brown. He coached me for seven years. He's taught me everything about the game and just everything I know today."

4. When you were very young you went in goal and apparently it did not work out so well?

"Ya, I always wanted to be a goalie but it didn't work out. I was bad. I definitely let in a couple weak ones and allowed double-digit goals. I was about six or seven at the time. I kept asking my dad and he wouldn't let me. I think I was just having fun."

5. What is the worst movie you have ever watched on the team bus?

"This year's been pretty bad movies. We've watched the same ones a couple times. We've watched Blue Crush a couple times. It's pretty bad."
---------------------------------------

NHL/Flyers:

----------------------------------------

http://gcobb.com/2012/06/22/philadel...cott-laughton/

Quote:
Laughton was a bit of a surprise when his name was called, but scouting reports suggest that this is a player who fits very well in the “Flyers mold.” Laughton, a teammate of the Flyers’ 2011 4th round pick Colin Suellentrop on the Oshawa Generals, is a defensive-minded two-way center. He doesn’t have a towering build or elite offensive skills, but his character and overall play suggest he’ll have a very long NHL career.

From Sean Lafortune, director of scouting at TheScout.ca: “Laughton may be the smartest, most competitive draft eligible player for the NHL Draft. He always brings a high complete level, and is the kind of player who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He will block a shot, make a strong offensive play, back check or drop the gloves if it could equal team success… There isn’t a lot not to like about Scott Laughton. He has everything you look for in a centre at the next level.”

In other words, he projects to be a very good second or third line center. The Flyers don’t necessarily have a “need” for another center, but at the end of the day, it’s better that they took a respectable pick than a stretch one. Laughton has been described as a good candidate for future NHL captain, so it’s easy to see why Holmgren selected him at the position he did.

Laughton finished the 2011-12 OHL season with 21 goals and 53 points in 64 games played.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote