View Single Post
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Clearly Forsberg was far from a consensus top-5 guy. NHL teams don't go by Craig Button's top 30 or The Hockey News draft guide, like fans do.
Clearly there were 6 teams who didn't have him top5 other than us, but I think it is fair to say that he was that in the scouting community in general. Also ISS to mention the biggest, and then there's McKenzie's list which is based not on his own opinions, but rather reputed scouts.

Anyway, I have nothing against Pouliot. We have reason to believe that our scouts pick good players, not least D-men.
But when you create such a pile of D-men you also create an environment where you hurt their asset value, because we see it all the time that you only really get value for players post-draft when they prove themselves in the senior game, and our depth insures that many of these guys can't/won't be able to.

I am talking generalities here of course. With two years more in junior, likely, he might dominate there so much that his situation will look different.

Just disappointed that we had such a good player as Forsberg on our hands, a guy who would have a wide open spot as best forward prospect on our team and plays the kind of hockey we want in our forwards.... and went with more of the same - as good as that 'same' is.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote