View Single Post
Old
06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Here's a thread from earlier in the year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=40467529

Comment by Brock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Agree. It's not really so much just his skating, but more so his ability to handle the puck at a higher speed too. He's not one of those effortless skaters, and it seems to effect his offensive game at times. He can fumble passes or lose control of the puck when things are unfolding a bit too fast.

But when the game slows down and he's able to get possession of the puck in the offensive end, he can really go to work and is a very complete offensive player. Big shot, like you said. But also seems to read and react to plays well and does a great job of using that size to get his teammates opportunities to score.

I think he has a ton of potential. But he's also got a relatively low complete bust factor. I could easily see him developing into a 30-30 guy at the next level...or a hard working third line center who chips in a 15-20 line every year.
On his blog he ranked him a few spots ahead of Laughton and right behind Faksa:

Quote:
Is he a top 6 two way center, or a 3rd line checking center? That seems to be the question most scouts are asking themselves. The answer, of course, lies in the future. But right now I'm definitely in the camp that believes in his offensive potential. I think he could easily develop into a bona fide top 6 forward. Insert the common Brock Otten rant about an already solid two-way forward being drafted and pigeon held as a 3rd line center lacking potential (see Ryan O'Reilly, Mike Richards, etc). I think his skating is less of a worry than people make it out to be. His top end speed isn't poor. Once he gets going, he's got a good motor and can be a leader of the rush. It's his first few steps and ability to carry/receive the puck at full speed that hurt him. Gaunce is a guy who's currently most effective when the game slows down a bit, as opposed to working off the rush. So sometimes it looks like he's going slowly, but in reality he's just setting the pace he likes to work at. He's an incredibly patient playmaker who's one of the finest passers in the OHL already. He sees the ice very well and is great at working down low and finding open teammates quickly in the slot. He's got an absolute cannon of a shot, both wrister and slapper, but he'll need to work on his release to get it off quicker. While Gaunce isn't a huge factor on the forecheck, he is a big factor along the boards and he uses his size very well to win battles down low. He's physical and uses that size to create room for his teammates offensively or to push the opposition off the puck defensively. He's already a very solid player in all three zones and is a good penalty killer. Bottom line is that I feel his potential as a puck possession player, in addition to his ability to set up plays for his linemates makes him a definite top 6 candidate in the future. You don't have to be a dynamic player to be an effective top 6 forward. Check out his Draft Tracker segment with Yahoo's Neate Sager. Also, check out Brendan in game action courtesy HPTV. A must read is Brendan's blog over at Coming Down the Pipe. You can also listen to him chat on The Pipeline Show.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...r-2012_03.html

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote