View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
We got hosed. What a stupid trade. Dealt with a growing player who couldn't get his legs under him and was unsure in the offensive zone. Finally grow him into an NHL player. Ship him away for another growing player who is unsure in the offensive zone and can't seem to get his feet under him. What's the best possible scenario for Sutter, that he turns into a Jordan Staal type of player? What happens then, do we ship Sutter away for another project?

I don't know anything about the pick, but people seem even angrier about that.

The only solace I have is that I have to assume that this meant Staal was leaving when his contract was up, and at least this way we got something. But I'm not going to be all sugar and rainbows about this deal.
At least you came to your senses by the last paragraph. Shero knew Staal wasn't sticking around, so he had to move him. Staal's too good not to get something for him. You take the best deal possible, and that's what Shero did.

He got a young but very talented defensive center. Sure he's Staal lite, but we don't need someone of Staal's caliber playing a defensive role. Sutter will excel in that, and costs a lot less allowing us to have money to spend elsewhere. As for points, I'll be happy if he hits 40. As long as he's shutting down other lines, I could care less how much offense he brings. What it does mean though is that Shero must upgrade the top 6 now that there's only 2 lines for other teams to focus on.

As for the pick, I think most were surprised (other than TSN who called it as Shero was walking to the stage). I would have rather had Trouba (or was it Dumba taken at #9?). The big guy who would likely turn into a shutdown type. Or Matta (was very happy with that pick). However I rationalized it later as this: How many defensive type D are available in free agency, or by trade? No the top ones rarely are, however you don't need a top #1/2 D to win the cup. However how often are top offensive D available? Much rarer. That's why I think Shero picked this guy. Hopefully it works out... but we have some quality D in the system.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote