Thread: Prospect Info: Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 12:12 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
I think I may be one of the only NA reporters to have spoken with Spelling (via translator), so I've got more information than most.

-Spelling was the 2010-11 AL-Bank Ligaen Rookie of the Year in Denmark's top league and became a star there this season.

-Big, strong kid who has really improved his skating since being eligible last year. He's still not and likely never will be a burner, but he's added enough punch to keep up with the play and has a variety of gear changes available to throw off opponents.

-Confident, crafty stickhandler for a big man. Uses his size and shoulders to his advantage in protecting the puck.

-Natural goal-scorer. Heavy shot and loves to drive wide and then cut back inside to hand-cuff with the goalie with it.

-Burgeoning playmaking game. Solid vision and as his skating has improved, he's been able to make more advanced plays in the offensive zone.

Only a couple of teams had talked to Spelling by January- the Predators being one I know for sure- and he wasn't at all confident about being drafted. His is a long-term plan, as is obvious from the route he intends to take. Timra was the Elitserien team he originally wanted to play (due to Peter Regin) but for whatever reason that didn't pan out. 2-3 years and you could have a great complementary player on your hands.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote