Thread: Prospect Info: Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Jacques Strap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
Pardon me for saying this but why do you want him to go to CHL, when he has a contract with a team in SEL (a league the strength of AHL)?
I am pretty sure he will develop better playing in Sweden for a couple of years before going to NA.

I'm guessing you have seen Spelling play, so how is the description of Spelling in the Danish prospects forum below? Is it accurate? Thanks.

It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT

To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.

Frans Nielsen apparently likes him quite much.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote