Old
06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Hockey161616
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
same here....lots of projects and guys picked much higher than they are ranked

They can definitely, it he was ranked somewhere around late 4th, 5th round wasn't he?? Same with the goalie we took....these are reaches, from lesser junior leagues....Flyers seem to be just looking for the diamond in the rough rather than safely building up the organization depth

I don't like it! Meaning the philosophy not necessarily this pick specifically
The Flyers picked up an absolute stud in Gostisbehere. I saw him play a handful of games this season and he will definitely play in the show. 160 pounds is small but he played this season as a natural freshman at Union so he will definitely bulk up. Although a natural freshman, he played with the poise of an all-american.

Additionally, he's been invited to the US World Junior Team camp and I can definitely see him making the team this winter.

All in all he was originally slated as a 5th rounder, but he had such a great post-season that he was talked about as a fringe 2nd round or a sure fire third rounder over the past month, so this was by no means a reach for Philly. If Philly hadn't taken him he would have been off the board within the next few picks. Great pick by Philly and this kid will arrive on your blue line (not the Phantoms) by 2014 or 2015.

Hockey161616 is offline   Reply With Quote