View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
ChadS

vCash: 500
Here's my view at today's picks:

#49 Martin Frk, RW, 6'0"/193
- Possibly my favorite pick of the draft, since it wasn't a very deep draft but we still got a kid with undeniable high-end potential this late. Looks a lot like Pulkkinen but he's bigger and a better skater even though that's listed as a weakness of his. So basically Pulkkinen with a better chance of making the NHL. He's also been quite impressive with the national team, for example putting up a point per game and being one of the Czechs best players at the 10-11 WJC as a 17 year old. I remember spotting him back then and thought he was going to be a very high pick. The Wings seem to not be afraid of taking guys who slide because of injury issues in their draft year (Tvrdon, Pulkkinen...).

#80 Jake Paterson, G, 6'0.75"/176
- I was expecting a goalie to be picked at some stage but not this early on. Central Scouting had him ranked as the 3rd best NA goalie and apparently this pick was all Osgood. We'll see if he's any good at scouting young goalies, personally I'm not too impressed but he's got two years to prove me wrong. The OHL's history with goalies does not support this pick

#110 Andreas Athanasiou, C/LW, 6'0"/177
- This pick is all about high-end potential and at #110 you can take a chance on that. Great skating and skills, but a lot of people seem to think a change of scenery to a smaller team and a bigger role would be of great benefit for him, and I agree. Watching his highlights, his skating really stands out and that alone is a great building block for his development. He, just like Frk, was a top ranked player coming into this year but fell a long way down. On CS's list, he dropped from the mid-season's #24 to the final ranking's #40.

#140 Mike McKee, D, 6'4"/232
- First of all I want to say that I think it's great that they decided to draft some real big boys. But drafting a one-dimensional, unranked overager already in the 5th makes you wonder if they actually thought there were other teams after him? His penalty minute totals from this season are pretty crazy and he's going to have to calm down at least a bit because that amount just cannot be good for your team. He's got to have some skill because otherwise the Wings would not have picked him and his point totals from previous seasons also reflect this. Glad he's going to WMU so the Wings will have a good look at him in the future.

#170 James De Haas, D, 6'2"/200
Another big D-man but this kid seems to be more than just a stay-at-home bruiser. Apparently he's not going to Clarkson until 2013 which seems a bit weird since he already seems physically mature and had the most points on his team among d-men even though he's not known for his puck skills. 10 goals is also pretty good from a d-man. Ranked #175 among NA-skater by CS. Quite hard to say much about him but we'll see what he turned into in 5 years from now.

#200 Rasmus Bodin, LW, 6'6"/207
- Obviously this is probably going to be the pick discussed most on this board because it's another one of Håkan's never heard Swedes. And this kid is really unheard of, since it's hard to find any info on him online. RWC have some comments from Håkan, who's apparently the only NHL scout seen him play and who got him the try-out with HV71: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/...n-final-round/

Since I have no life, I went through all his games from 2011-2012 and here's how his season went:
- During the autumn, he divided time between the Div.1 team and the U18 team. U18: 12 games on the top two lines, 4+5=9, 34 PIM, 26 SOG, -1. Div.1: 20 games mainly on the 3rd and 4th line, 3+7=10, 18 PIM, 19 SOG, +7.
- During the spring, he only played with the U18 team and stepped up in terms of production: 17 games on the top two lines, 5+12=17, 60 PIM, 40 SOG, +13.

Btw, we have two 7th rounders next year. They should just automatically give them to Håkan.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote