Thread: Speculation: Philadelphia's Potential Problem
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
This is purely my speculation, but I think Philadelphia may have a bit of a potential problem thanks to Holmgren. With JvR getting deal today, this is the third player Holmgren has dealt within the last year (Carter and Richards the other two) in which the player dealt had recently signed a contract extension with a bit of length to it. JvR signed a six-year deal, Carter signed an eleven-year deal, and Richards signed a twelve-year deal.

I think the potential problem is players seeing guys who signed extensions of this length getting dealt and not being able to trust the long-term commitment enough to sign or re-sign with the Flyers. Holmgren may show long-term commitment by signing someone to a long-term deal, but the lack of waiting out a lot of the contract may start making players shy away from signing long-term deals in Philadelphia.

Thoughts?
Well, those are the rules of the CBA. Any player who is a RFA can't obtain a NTC until he enters his UFA status.

For example, take Crosby, his current 5 yr deal doesn't offer him a NTC until July 1, 2012. In the final year of his contract, this coming season, his deal could have included a NTC.

So, Richards, signed his deal after his ELC. There's no way anyone can guarantee you will play out your contract. 4 years is a long time and anything can happen. Circumstances change. Other players come and go. Team makes adjustments when they don't achieve their goals, free agents gets signed and get signed away. So, the team adapts.

Players want security of a long term deal. If you want it, then you take the risk. That's why it's probably a good move for guys coming off their ELC in the future to sign away only 1 of their UFA years so that on their next contract, they can land a NTC and have control where they play.