View Single Post
Old
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't see why many people here are saying directly or indirectly "It's Luongo or bust"

Brian Burke today.

If the 40 odd games last season he played wasn't enough to show he was a good goaltender on a consistent basis, why is the 30 odd games he played in a year he got a concussion spell that he is not good enough to be a #1? It doesn't make sense.

People here often say we don't have Ryan Miller, Carey Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, middle of the pack guys like Lehtonen, Howard etc.

Jonathan Quick didn't become an elite goalie overnight. It takes hard work and dedication, something James Reimer has. Now before you call me a homer, I'm not saying Reimer will be an elite goalie, I just think that writing the season off just because Reimer could possibly be our #1 goalie is stupid.

Not too long ago Jonathan Quick was seen as a placeholder for Jonathan Bernier who would assume the #1 role. Things change from year to year.

We've got a new coach who will employ defense in his system as much as offense. Reimer will have a lot to prove and I think he'll show his mettle.

If we don't give a goalie an opportunity to go through the good and bad, we'll never find a goalie good enough to be a #1. We can't just keep recycling goalies year to year.

He'll bounce back this season without a doubt.
I think the lesson of the last few seasons might be any/all of
1. Don't underestimate the importance of steady league average goaltending to making the playoffs (Reimer/Gus, Giggy/Gus, Toskala/???)
2. Having a back up plan if things don't follow the best possible outcome (i.e. last year going with two unproven goalies)
3. Consider a capable veteran goalie to allow the developing goalie to gain experience in a lower pressure environment (i.e. something similar to Theodore in Florida or who is holding the for until Markstrom or Anderson in Ottawa while (Lehner or Bishop develop).

Sure the leaf team can go with Reimer/Scrivens but best case is they give the leafs average goaltending. More realistically they struggle to achieve 0.910 and just fall short of stopping enough goals to finish 9th. And worse case, there is a repeat of the last few seasons.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote